cookies for Nate

I think I may have mentioned that Nate tends to be constipated. It doesn't help that he looooooves food that stops him up even more. In an attempt to remedy his last bout of constipation, I looked up some constipation cookie recipes. One recipe was really yummy, but he wouldn't eat them. He at least tasted them. I tried bran muffins, but he wouldn't even touch them. So I took a recipe he loves already and made some adjustments. This is based on Quaker's Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies recipe.

1 stick of margarine, softened
1/2 cup pureed prunes (this is about 2 plastic tubs of Gerber 1st Foods prunes)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup black strap molasses
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350
Beat together margarine, prunes, sugars, and molasses until creamy
Add eggs and vanilla; beat well
Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well
Stir in oats and raisins; mix well
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack

He loves them. And they help him stay semi-regular. Sometimes I let him have one for breakfast. I haven't calculated the nutritional value, but I figure they're better for him than cereal... The other recipe I tried subbed the sugar 100% with molasses and honey and the butter 50% with pureed prunes and 50% with peanut butter. They would be more healthy, but what's the point if he doesn't eat them? Rodgers and I liked them, but the texture was a little off.

My little secret: I divide the dough in half before adding the raisins, then add raisins to half of it for Nate and chocolate chips to the other half for me. :)

QOTW: Me not *take* cookies, me *eat* the cookies. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts