toaster

When we moved here, we had to furnish our home from scratch. Honestly, it was fun getting to pick out everything, but at the same time, we were in a rush to buy necessities. And then we would keep forgetting to buy things like spoons.

We decided that we didn't really need to get a toaster. After all, we could always just eat plain bread or toast the bread in a skillet or in the oven. Then, we realized that we hate the oven. The temperature control is a big flame on one end and a small flame on the other. I have no idea if the things I want to bake are big flame, small flame, or somewhere in between. Plus, we don't have an outlet to plug the stove into, so we can't use the (electric) self-lighting function. We have to light it with matches. The whoosh that happens when you light the oven scares the pants off me, so I am definitely not lighting it. (I do work up my courage to light the stove burners, though.)

One day (ironically during the week we had no electricity, but we didn't know it was going to last for a week yet) we decided to try to find something like a slow cooker. What we found has such a wide temperature range that it can also be used for steaming, stir fry, deep frying, and more. I roasted potatoes in it in under 20 minutes, but we have also used the lower temps to slow cook beef stew. While we were shopping, I noticed there were toasters for 1000 shillings.

That's like $12.50.

The boys had been enjoying/requesting skillet toast for 2 or 3 weeks.

I said, "Rodgers, we need this."

And now we have a toaster.


We use it almost every day!

Comments

Popular Posts