our trip! stories from Kenya. Sunday

After a long flight, we arrived in Nairobi a bit late. There was a huge mob of people at immigration, but we found out that there was another area of immigration that didn't have so many people, and we'd be allowed to use any line to get a visa. So we went over there and it took a few minutes. By the time we got to baggage claim, our flight was boarding but we had about 20 minutes before it was scheduled to leave (which turned out to be about 15 minutes earlier than our travel itinerary said). We had taken so long at immigration that luggage from our flight was already on the carousel. I waited for about 10 minutes but my bag never came out. I asked one of the baggage handlers if my bag might be coming soon or if I should forget it and run to my flight to Mombasa. He took my baggage claim sticker and looked around in the back (where they load the bags onto the carousel), then came back and told me to just go and report my bag missing in Mombasa.

The flight was still waiting for us, but someone had taken our seat because his seat was next to a person who took up 1 1/2 seats. Since he was a bigger person than me, I told him he could keep my seat, and Nate and I squished in to the only empty seat on the plane. It turned out well. The girl next to us (on the other side from the large person) was very excited to play with Nate, and she even held him for me for part of the flight.

We got to Mombasa, did the missing baggage thing, and Rodgers took us to the hotel - the same one I stayed at in 2008.

In my wisdom, I had Rodgers pack things for Nate (clothes, formula, food, etc), and Rodgers had bought diapers, so Nate would be fine without my luggage. The only Rodgers didn't have for Nate was his malaria medicine (it's a weekly pill, which he was supposed to have Sunday night). In our carryon, I had bottles and some other small necessities for Nate, but I packed it very lightly. I had nothing for myself, not even a toothbrush.

Nate's travel bed was also in my suitcase. We made him a pallet on the floor, but when he woke up, he was terrified, so we put him back to sleep in between us in the big bed.


Popular Posts